Below is the MERAS and 20 DHBs MECA.
The rolling strikes and the media that resulted from these led to a revised offer. Your pressure worked!
The new salary rates are below. Core midwives on Step 7 will be on $84,153 (a 7.4% increase) and new grads will start on $65,022 (an increase of nearly 10%).
The new rates keep the 1.25% differential for midwives because of the increase MERAS won in August 2020.
The MECA also includes reimbursement of your College of Midwives fees from the $1000 a member Continuing Professional Development (CPD) fund.
Details of the Pay Equity Lump Sum are below:
The MECA also includes:
- $1000 in a CPD fund for every MERAS midwife each year, to carry over if unused, and which will cover your College of Midwives fees.
- New safe staffing provisions and an independent review of CCDM (Trendcare).
- A Midwifery Career Pathway and a dedicated process to evaluate new midwifery positions.
- Inclusion of the MERAS Rostering Guidelines and new meal and rest break provisions.
- New midwifery employees to go on the terms and conditions of the MERAS MECA as we now have the majority membership in every DHB.
- Coverage of maternity care assistants who are midwifery students working in a housekeeping role, giving them the opportunity to earn money while they are studying for their degree.
- Non-union midwives will pay a bargaining fee to MERAS, which will be the same as the union subs, payable over the next two years.
- A policy will be developed to ensure flight midwives are looked after by the receiving DHB following a survey MERAS conducted last year.
- Better support around sentinel/adverse events, including paid special leave if needed (this won’t come off your sick leave entitlement).
- MERAS to work with Midwifery Leaders on flexible work arrangements, including working from home where appropriate.
- Sick leave will not be pro-rated and all 10 days will be paid at relevant daily pay.
- ACC top-up for injuries sustained through workplace assaults (won’t come off sick leave).
- Whāngai recognised in parental leave.
- Designated senior midwives to be paid O/T for coming in to respond to VRM after hours.
- Encourage DHBs to have designated senior midwife on all shifts and wards in secondary and tertiary units.